Midwest Disability, P.A. Midwest Disability, P.A. Midwest Disability, P.A.

October 2015 Archives

Electronic Signatures

In the year 2000, President Clinton signed into law the Electronic Signature in Global and National Commerce Act (the E-sign Act), which declares that an electronic signature "may not be denied legal effect, validity, or enforceability solely because it is in electronic form." Since then, digital signatures have been regarded as binding on contracts, including agreements made between applicants for Social Security Disability benefits and their attorneys or representatives. Yet even today, some personnel in the Social Security Administration (SSA) have been hesitant to recognize the validity of anything other than a wet signature.

Hearing Loss

As the parent of a deaf child, I often meet families of people with significant hearing loss. When they learn of my profession, a question I am commonly asked is whether they can receive disability benefits for their hearing loss.

Social Security Disability: Full Retirement Age

When the Social Security program was developed in 1934 (signed into law in 1935), President Roosevelt called upon assistance from actuarial studies, which initially indicated that the correct full retirement age (also called "normal retirement age") for a solvent, self-supporting program should be sixty-seven. Though the German model system (which predates our own by 46 years) had selected seventy as the minimum qualifying age, the actuaries on the Social Security program eventually chose sixty-five as the full retirement age "because sixty was too young and seventy was too old. So we split the difference"[1]

Foreign-Language Translations for Social Security

Supporting your disability claim with medical evidence of record is a crucial part of the evaluation process. Under CFR § 404.704, when evidence is needed for claim development, the claimant is responsible for obtaining and giving the evidence to Social Security Administration. At times, claimants may receive medical care abroad, where records are not written in English.[1] Other foreign-language documents may also be submitted from churches, temples, or other organizations within the United States. In such circumstances, the regulations also provide that Social Security Administration can obtain English translations for foreign-language records or documents (CFR § 404.704; see also POMS: GN 00301.330).

MIDWEST DISABILITY office locations

Midwest Disability, P.A.
408 Northdale Boulevard Northwest
Coon Rapids, MN 55448
Toll Free: 888-351-0427
Coon Rapids Law Office Map

Super Lawyers The National Trial Lawyers | Top 100 Trial Lawyers