A disability that happens suddenly can be very hard to adjust to. Maybe you got injured in a car accident; in the course of one day, your entire life changed. That’s not something you can get your head around immediately.
As you move forward with your life, it’s important to stay positive. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Every situation is different. Don’t assume you will have some negative outcome just because someone else did. You are unique. Your situation is unique.
- Other people’s expectations do not matter. Maybe they think you won’t be able to do things that you know you’ll be able to do. Forget about their expectations. Focus on yourself.
- You are far more than your condition. It doesn’t define you. This change isn’t the only thing that makes you the person you are. Instead of thinking about what you have lost or how things have changed, think about who you really are and what you still have.
- Great friends go a long way. That support system is so important. Hopefully, your family can provide it as well. Seek out those people who prop you up and make you feel happy, positive and loved.
- Do not blame yourself. Don’t play the “what if” game. Just focus on the future and do all you can to make it into exactly what you want it to be.
As you move forward with this new, positive outlook, make sure you also take some time to consider the legal rights that you have to things like Social Security Disability benefits.