COVID-19 Notice: Midwest Disability, PA is fully operational in accordance with safety regulations provided by the CDC and local health officials. Our attorneys continue to provide quality legal representation and are available to discuss your case over the phone or by e-mail.

Substitution of Party if a Claimant Dies

Depending on where you're located, it can take more than two years from the date of filing a disability application to get a hearing and decision from an administrative law judge.

Unfortunately, many claimants suffer from illnesses so severe that they simply cannot wait that long and pass away long before their hearing.

In these circumstances, the Social Security Administration lets family members step in to complete a claim and receive the deceased's benefits, but the exact rules for substitution of party depend on whether a claimant filed for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits before death.

For SSDI cases, the substitution of party can be made (in order) by the spouse of the deceased, surviving children, surviving parents, and finally, the legal representative of the estate of the deceased.

To stand in for the claimant, the new party must submit a copy of the death certificate and complete form HA-539.

SSI claims are more restrictive in who can act as substitute for the deceased claimant. A surviving spouse who was living with the claimant within six months immediately preceding the month of the claimant's death is a valid substitute.

Also, the parents of deceased children who were living with the child within six months of the date of death are an eligible substitution of party.

In both SSDI and SSI cases, the substituted party can either attend a hearing or request that a judge make a decision on the record.

If a hearing is held, the judge will ask the substituted party what they observed about the claimant from the time of their onset of disability until their death.

As this is understandably difficult for many people, some family members opt for a judge to make a decision on the record. In that case, the judge's decision is based completely on the submitted medical evidence without any additional testimony.

Contact Us To Get Started

Contact us online or call our offices directly at 888-351-0427 for a free case evaluation. All cases are taken on contingency, meaning there are no fees until we recover benefits for you.

Contact Us Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

In Minnesota, we handle Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) claims. Throughout the nation, we handle SSDI applications and appeals for people from Ohio to Kansas, North Dakota to Texas and everywhere in between.


Midwest Disability, P.A.
408 Northdale Boulevard Northwest
Coon Rapids, MN 55448

Coon Rapids Law Office Map