Midwest Disability, P.A. Midwest Disability, P.A. Midwest Disability, P.A.

Veterans: Proving disability helps you access vital benefits

You served your country and have the emotional and physical scars to prove it. You've tried to do your best as a civilian, but you find it nearly impossible to hold down a job. You're tired, stressed and in pain.

One thing you can consider doing is applying for veterans' disability benefits. To get veterans' disability benefits, you'll have to show that you have a currently diagnosed mental or physical disability. If you have an injury that occurred during your time in the service or one that was aggravated by your service, this also helps you qualify for benefits.

You will have to show that there is some kind of link between your injury and your military service. For instance, if you are claiming post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), you should show that you served at a time in which you suffered a traumatic event that resulted in the mental disability.

You should provide your discharge or separation papers when you file a claim, so the Veterans' Association can confirm that you no longer working in the military. If you have supporting documents of any kind of treatment records from your time in the service, submit those to the Veteran's Association as well. Keep all medical documents from all sources as evidence of your condition.

If you have this paperwork, it's easy to submit an application to seek disability benefits. Your attorney can help you fill out and submit the documents, so you have the best chance of a quick and easy approval. If you are denied, your attorney can also help you appeal the decision.

Source: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, "Disability Compensation," accessed Oct. 26, 2017

MIDWEST DISABILITY office locations

Midwest Disability, P.A.
408 Northdale Boulevard Northwest
Coon Rapids, MN 55448
Toll Free: 888-351-0427
Coon Rapids Law Office Map

Super Lawyers The National Trial Lawyers | Top 100 Trial Lawyers